Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Values that allow you to THRIVE

While at a start-up company we decided that the core of the organization would have an internal thought process to everything that we did. This guiding light feed throughout all areas of the organization and help drive the business choices of the organization. It was a very enlightening process of developing a set of core values for the organization. Having invested so much of myself in the organization, these company values very quickly became a way of expressing the personal values that I carry. I would like to share these with you.



When you are led by values, it doesn't cost your business,
it helps your business.
Jerry Greenfield (Co-Founder of Ben & Jerry's Homemade Holdings, Inc.)


T H R I V E
thrive 1: to grow vigorously. : FLOURISH 2: to gain in wealth or possessions. : PROSPER : to progress toward or realize a goal. syn. see SUCCEED


TEAMWORK - I am committed to the spirit of open communications. I encourage cooperation and teamwork among all of us and believe that that can only be achieved by sharing all that we know, listening, and respecting each other's beliefs and individuality. I will admit mistakes, problems, and issues, freely , at the earliest opportunity, while they are still small.



HUMANITY - I believe in the importance of self and of family. Our success in our professional lives is balanced by success in our personal lives. Recognizing this allows us to be polite, helpful, accommodating, and considerate of the personal needs of others.



RESPONSIBILITY - I believe that we can only be successful by taking ownership of our goals. I encourage a commitment to our responsibilities and demonstrate initiative to accomplish the very best.



IMPROVEMENT - I believe in the development of ourselves as individuals. I look to be the best that I can be by learning from my experiences, searching for innovative and proven approaches to problems, investing in myselves and taking the long term view. I wish to leverage all that I've accomplished in the past as an individual, and as a professsional, and to regularly surpass it.



VIRTUE - I have been grounded on a code of conduct that is above reproach. I insist on being honest, ethical, and straightforward in all my dealings with others. I am proud of myself, my career, my coworkers and conduct myself accordingly.



ENJOYMENT - I believe that we do what we do because we enjoy it. I will only perform at my best if I feel great about what I am doing. I strive to seek the fun, the humor, and the enjoyment in everything I do.


There are many companies that have developed core values and many others that have tried. Please share your experience with the journey of development.

Notice:
posts will have the highlights of projects that I have been apart of or have managed. Some of these examples have been fictionalized to make certain points. The examples are not a complete rendering of all the events of any project, example or actual event. Nor are they intended to be a factual accounting of events in a project, example or actual event. The examples of projects are to inspire and provoke thought on how anyone of us would have handled the situation. My intention is to highlight those "moments" where doing things one way or another might have changed the end of the story. This is done in an open and learning format where I hope we can all continue to learn together.

No comments:

Post a Comment